Sunday, August 12, 2007

Catching up

It's been two weeks since my last post. Since then we've packed the contents of our house in Richardson and moved to Cuero. We're trying to get moved into my grandparents' house, but it's proving to be more difficult than I had anticipated. They've lived in the house for at least 60 years and have accumulated a lot of stuff over the years. They are very thrifty and kept many things that most people today would throw away. I took nearly 100 tin cans (coffee cans, soup cans, etc.) to the recycle center yesterday. The Cuero recycling center doesn't take glass or plastic, so I've got trashcans full of glass jars and plastic bottles. The nearest place to take them is in a neighboring town 15 miles away. Of course they are only open on Wednesday morning. Maybe sometime when I go to Austin I can take a load. Luckily Cuero takes cardboard. I've found lots and lots of boxes in various states of decay. In the first week here, I threw out about a dozen broken broom/mop handles. There is a drawer in the kitchen with nothing but twist ties from loaves of store-bought bread. It makes me wonder what sorts of treasures I'll leave behind.

No comments: