Saturday, May 15, 2010

The eagle has landed

The build is complete. Here are some pictures of the finished product. Lots of little details that represent time spent agonizing over choices in components. SRAM Force drive train, Red Chris King hubs, DT Swiss rims with alternating red and black nipples. The chain won't ever be this clean again.
3T Ergonova handlebars have a shallow drop that will let me use the full range of hand positions, something I haven't been able to do since my neck surgery in 2003. SRAM Force shifters will take some getting used to. Chris King headset in red. Silver head tube badge. The handlebar cable routing really changes the look. I'll have to get over my habit of hooking my index finger over the cable. Steel fork... one of those decisions that I really struggled with. I hope I made the right choice.
Crown Jewel label on the chain stay. Sommerville label on the seat tube. Bicycle Sport Shop label on the down tube. The red labels look really good. Subtle on the black, sharp on the "Vanilla Shake" white. The red stripe on the panel is Ferrari Red. That's about as close to Italian as this bike gets. Of course, if this machine could talk it would probably pronounce that, "eye-talian". The cranks are the only component on the bike that are carbon fiber. If my usual group rejects me, I can join the local "Heavy Metal" rides.
Need to cut that down after a few rides... The stitching on the bar tape looks good.
Thomson seat post matches the stem and the Brooks Swift saddle. The seat post collar has a little IF crown on it.
Here it is. Time to ride!

No comments: